I opened Windows Update expecting a big Windows 11 button. I got “You’re up to date,” a Windows 10 PC that can run 11, and a search box full of people screaming download Installation Assistant like it was a cheat code.

It is not a cheat code. It is Microsoft’s second door. The first door is Windows Update. The third is an ISO or USB. Clicking the wrong door does not make you faster. It makes you the person who installs 11 on a dying disk because a YouTube title said “force upgrade.”

This is the order I actually used on a home Windows 10 PC in late August 2026: Health Check first, Windows Update second, Installation Assistant only when Update stayed silent on an eligible machine, ISO last and only for repair. Work and school PCs are not in this story. Official Microsoft download pages were checked on August 29, 2026. Current consumer release on that page: Windows 11 version 25H2.

Quick Answer

If Windows Update already offers Windows 11, use it. If PC Health Check says the hardware qualifies and Update still will not offer the upgrade, download the Windows 11 Installation Assistant only from microsoft.com/software-download/windows11, run it as administrator, and accept an in-place upgrade that keeps files and apps. Do not grab “Assistant” from a file host. The Assistant is not a USB maker, not a clean install, not an ARM tool, and not a TPM bypass. If Health Check fails the processor, stay on Windows 10 with ESU or replace the PC. If Setup keeps dying, back up and use official installation media — still from that same Microsoft page.

Key Takeaways

  • Three official tools, three jobs: Update = wait for the offer. Assistant = upgrade this eligible PC now. Media/ISO = USB, clean install, or a broken Windows.
  • Microsoft calls the Assistant the best option for the device you are sitting at. Microsoft also tells you to check Windows Update first. Both sentences can be true.
  • The Assistant needs Windows 10 version 2004 or later, about 9 GB free, a genuine license, an administrator, and x64 hardware. It does not run on Arm PCs.
  • A compatibility hold (“what needs your attention”) is a warning, not a dare. Fix the named issue. Do not hunt a bypass.
  • The upgrade is free on eligible Windows 10 PCs. You are not buying Windows again.
  • If the PC cannot officially run Windows 11, the Assistant will not make it official. Check hardware before you download anything.
Before you click anything: this must be a PC you own. Back up files you cannot replace. Save the BitLocker recovery key if the drive is encrypted. Close the browser if the download is not on microsoft.com. If Access work or school shows a company, stop and ask IT.

The night Windows Update told me nothing

I already knew the machine could run Windows 11. I had run PC Health Check from Microsoft, enabled TPM, and written the result down. That story is here: This PC can’t run Windows 11? How to check for real.

Windows Update still offered nothing but the usual cumulative crumbs. That is not always a bug. Microsoft stages the Windows 11 offer. Drivers, safeguard holds, and “your PC is eligible but not today” are real. The internet’s answer is always the Assistant. Sometimes that is right. Sometimes you are about to skip a hold that exists to keep the PC booting.

So I treated the missing offer like the missing ESU button: a symptom. I did not download a 5 GB ISO from the first Google ad.

Three doors on one Microsoft page

Microsoft’s Windows 11 download page puts the tools in a stack. People read it as three ways to get the same file. It is not.

Door What it actually does When I used it
Windows Update Offers the upgrade when Microsoft thinks this device is ready. Lowest drama. First. Always. If the button is there, I take it.
Installation Assistant In-place upgrade on the PC you are using now. Keeps files and apps. Checks hardware. Eligible PC, Update silent, disk healthy, I can sit through restarts.
Media Creation Tool / ISO USB or ISO for another PC, clean install, or Setup.exe from inside Windows. Repair, repeated Assistant failure, or I need media in a drawer.

The Assistant is a small downloader (Microsoft lists the 25H2 assistant around 4 MB). It then pulls Windows. That is why it is not “the whole of Windows 11 in your Downloads folder.” If someone sends you a 5 GB “InstallationAssistant.rar,” that is not Microsoft’s tool.

Minute 1 — I refused to skip Health Check

PC Health Check from Microsoft only

If the checker fails the CPU, I stop. The Assistant is not a loophole. Microsoft’s own media page warns that installing 11 on a PC that misses the requirements is not recommended, can end support and updates, and is not a warranty issue when it breaks. That is the grown-up sentence. I linked the hardware walk-through above on purpose.

Windows 10 itself had to be current

The Assistant wants Windows 10 version 2004 or later. In 2026 a home PC should already be on 22H2. I let Windows Update go idle — install, restart, check again — before I touched the Assistant. A half-updated 10 plus a forced 11 is how people write “setup failed at 47%.”

I looked at disk space like an adult

Microsoft says the Assistant needs about 9 GB free to download. An in-place upgrade wants more room to unpack. If the drive was a 119 GB eMMC at 90 percent, I emptied it first. The Assistant cannot invent gigabytes.

When I stayed on Windows Update

I stayed when any of these was true:

  • The page already said Download and install for Windows 11.
  • This was the only computer in the house and I needed it tomorrow morning.
  • Release Health listed a live issue that matched my hardware (printer, audio, boot).
  • The PC is “eligible” but tired: swollen battery, dying disk, random shutdowns. 11 does not heal that.

Windows Update is slow on purpose. Staged rollout exists so a bad driver does not hit everyone on day one. Impatience is a feeling. It is not a troubleshooting step.

When I reached for the Installation Assistant

Health Check green. 22H2 idle. 40 GB free. No work account. Update still mute. That is the Assistant’s job: install 11 on this PC without waiting for the offer, still inside Microsoft’s checker.

I downloaded from one URL

https://www.microsoft.com/software-download/windows11 — top block, Download Now. Filename should look like Microsoft’s assistant, not Win11_Pro_Activator.exe. I did not use a “mirror,” Uptodown, or a Telegram pack.

I ran it as administrator and read the compatibility screen

If the tool said the hardware was incompatible, I believed it. I did not search “skip assistant check.” If it showed license terms, I selected Accept and install only after a backup finished.

I stayed in the chair for the restarts

Microsoft’s own steps: the PC restarts several times. Do not hold the power button because the screen is black for two minutes. Do not unplug a laptop on battery at 12 percent. Plug it in first.

Arm PCs: Microsoft says the Installation Assistant does not run on Arm. It is x64 only. Surface Pro X-class machines wait for Windows Update, or follow Microsoft’s Arm media guidance — not a random ISO labeled “ARM64 cracked.”
What the Assistant will not do. It will not build a bootable USB. It will not wipe the PC clean unless Setup has already gone off the rails. It will not turn Home into Pro. It will not enroll you in ESU. It will not fix a PC that failed Health Check.

When I used an ISO instead

Third door, same Microsoft page, lower on the screen: Media Creation Tool or download ISO. I used this when the Assistant failed twice with a setup error, or I needed media for a second PC.

Inside Windows, you can mount the official ISO and run Setup.exe and keep files and apps. That is still an in-place upgrade, just with a bigger file you can reuse. Booting the USB from firmware is a different sport: clean install territory, BitLocker keys, missing Wi-Fi drivers. I do not do that on a weeknight “because ISO is more pro.”

Microsoft’s warning on that page is ugly on purpose: install 11 on unsupported hardware and you can lose updates and support. I will not walk through bypasses here. If Health Check failed, I went back to the 2026 Windows 10 decision, not to Rufus.

The field card I wish I had

What I saw Tool What I did not do
Update already offers Windows 11 Windows Update Download the Assistant “to be sure”
Health Check pass, Update silent, PC healthy Installation Assistant from Microsoft ISO from a forum
Assistant dies, setup errors repeat Official ISO, Setup.exe, keep files The same Assistant five more times
Need USB for another machine Media Creation Tool The Assistant (it cannot make USB)
Health Check fails CPU / TPM 1.2 ESU + replacement plan Any “force Windows 11” pack
Work or school PC IT All of the above

After the upgrade — the part people skip

Windows 11 is not finished at the desktop wallpaper. I went to Settings > Windows Update and let the first 11 patches land. Then the PC maker’s driver page, not a “driver booster.” If Wi-Fi said connected with no internet, I treated it as a network problem, not a reason to roll back in panic: Windows 11 Wi-Fi connected but no internet.

You can roll back to Windows 10 for a limited window if the upgrade is still fresh and the 10 files were kept. That window is not forever. If 11 is unusable on day one, use it. If you just dislike the Start menu, do not nuke the install at midnight.

A 40-minute home sequence

One sitting. No extra tools.

  1. Own PC? Backup? BitLocker key? If no, stop.
  2. PC Health Check. Fail on CPU → ESU guide, not Assistant.
  3. Windows Update until idle, then Check for updates once more.
  4. If 11 is offered, take it. Sit through restarts.
  5. If not offered and Health Check passed: Assistant from the official download page only.
  6. If Assistant fails twice: official ISO, Setup.exe, keep files. Still not a random host.
  7. First hour on 11: Windows Update + maker drivers. Then work.

Frequently asked questions

Is the Windows 11 upgrade free?

Yes, on a genuine qualifying Windows 10 PC that meets hardware rules. You move the existing license. Metered internet from your ISP is separate.

Windows Update has no Windows 11 button. Is my PC blocked?

Not always. Run Health Check. If you pass, Microsoft may simply not have offered it yet. That is when the official Installation Assistant is for. If you fail Health Check, you are blocked for a supported upgrade.

Does the Installation Assistant delete my files?

It is designed as an in-place upgrade that keeps files, settings, and compatible apps. Backup anyway. Incompatible apps can still break.

Can I use the Assistant to skip TPM or an old CPU?

No. It checks compatibility. Unsupported installs are a different, unsupported problem. We do not recommend them.

Assistant or ISO — which is safer?

On a healthy eligible PC, Update is safest, Assistant is next, ISO/Setup is for control or repair. Safety is the source (Microsoft) and the hardware check, not the file size.

Why did Setup fail at 40–70%?

Full disk, pending 10 updates, flaky power, or a safeguard hold. Free space, finish 10 updates, plug in, try Assistant once more. Repeating the same failing path is not a strategy.

This is a work laptop. Can I run the Assistant?

No. Feature updates on managed PCs belong to IT. The consumer Assistant can fight policy and leave you without a help desk.

I still need Windows 10 for a while. Then what?

Do not force 11. Enroll in consumer ESU if eligible and set a replacement date. The Assistant is the wrong tool for a PC that should stay on 10.

The honest ending

The Installation Assistant looks like a skip-ahead ticket. On an eligible, backed-up, idle Windows 10 PC, it is. On every other PC it is how you skip the warning that was trying to help you.

I let Windows Update speak first. I used the Assistant when Update had nothing to say and Health Check had already said yes. I used an ISO when I needed media, not because a thumbnail told me “ISO is elite.” I never used a file host. The upgrade is free. The recovery weekend is not.

Sources

  1. Microsoft, “Download Windows 11” (Installation Assistant, media, ISO). microsoft.com/software-download/windows11
  2. Microsoft, Windows 11 Installation Assistant 25H2 download listing. Microsoft Download Center
  3. Microsoft, Windows 11 specs and requirements. Microsoft
  4. Microsoft, PC Health Check. aka.ms/GetPCHealthCheckApp
  5. Microsoft, Windows release health. aka.ms/windowsreleasehealth

Article notes

First published. Assistant vs Update vs media mapped to Microsoft’s public Windows 11 download page (25H2) the same day. Hardware bypasses intentionally omitted.